I am a Believer but not a religious sucker!
I am neither anti-church nor anti-religion. However, I
firmly believe that being a true follower of God should never be based solely
on the emotional high of attending a service or following a specific pastor.
While many attend church to hear sermons, we must remain vigilant: who we follow is what we become.
I respect preachers of the Gospel. Yet it is deeply
alarming to see congregants admire these leaders to the point of giving away
their own livelihood to satisfy them. We get caught up in the excitement over
these "anointed ones" while forgetting that we possess direct access
to the heart and teachings of the Messiah.
Sincerity is often replaced by a transactional gospel.
Today, many pastors live in luxury—driving expensive cars and residing in
mansions—while their members struggle to pay tithes from their limited
salaries. I have no issue with pastors having money, but struggling people
should not be burdened with financing a lavish lifestyle. If a leader turns
away a member in need and returns to a life of luxury, the system is broken. Even
the Old Testament states that a portion of the tithe belonged to the poor, the
stranger, and the widow (Deuteronomy 26:12).
A church member recently told me, "I love God's
kingdom and want my money to go to good causes, but not for one person's
gain." This is the critical thinking we desperately need. A lack of
financial transparency creates blind faith, making the masses incredibly easy
to deceive. God is not materialistic. Equating material wealth with the depth
of a person's faith is a distortion born of human greed. After all, Jesus had
nothing on the cross, yet He rose with all power.
True ministry is servitude, and servants do not live in
luxury. You cannot serve two masters; you cannot love God while obsessing over
money. True faith must be modeled through humility, compassion, and
accountability, focusing on our personal relationship with God rather than the
status of the person behind the pulpit.