During my prep time, as I was sitting alone in my classroom, a memory from my past suddenly flashed back into my mind, caught me off guard, and stirred up a mix of emotions. Then I found myself reflecting on what my mother told me over the webcam before her last breath. “Everything in this world is just TEMPORARY; stay humble, especially to your siblings. No matter how much you achieve, never forget where you came from." Her words have stuck with me throughout my life. She taught me that humility is not just about being modest; it's about recognizing that we are all part of something bigger than ourselves.
I remember my mother; She would often share stories of her own experiences, emphasizing that success is not solely a result of our efforts but also of the support and kindness we receive from others. This perspective has shaped the way I view my accomplishments. I’ve learned to celebrate my achievements while also acknowledging the people who have helped me along the way. That's probably one of the reasons why I am generous to those I value despite their disrespect.
My mother also reminded me that humility opens doors to genuine connections with others. When we approach life with a humble heart, we become more approachable and relatable. It allows us to learn from others, appreciate their perspectives, and foster meaningful relationships.
Today, in a world that often values self-promotion and competition, her reminders serve as a grounding force for me. She told me to stay true to myself and treat others with kindness and respect, regardless of their status or achievements, but never let them abuse my kindness. LEARN to say no, she told me; saying no is self-respect.
I just want to share this with you because I believe humility is a quality that can enrich our lives and the lives of those around us. I hope we can both carry this lesson forward and continue to grow in our understanding of what it means to be humble.