I sat beneath the canopy of a coconut tree, my eyes wandering aimlessly through the midday heat, searching for something to anchor onto. The school courtyard felt strangely distant. When a student brushed past, his gaze fixed firmly on the ground, I offered a quiet hello. He paused, looking suddenly ashamed, as if caught in a place he shouldn't be. "Hey," I said softly, "could you pull up a chair for me?" He muttered a hurried promise to wait, spun on his heel, and ran away, vanishing into the shadows of the corridor. He never came back.
An
unsettling chill began to settle over me. I stood up and walked toward the
breezeway, leaning against a concrete post to steady myself. When a fellow
teacher walked by, I met her eyes and offered a warm smile, hoping for a sliver
of camaraderie. She passed me like a ghost, her face completely expressionless,
refusing to give me even a fleeting glance.
Swallowing my
confusion, I nodded to the empty air and walked toward the main office. I
passed a group of school staff, but my greeting was met only with heavy,
unblinking stares. As soon as I passed, they leaned into each other, their
voices dropping into sharp, cruel whispers.
Driven by a
growing sense of desperation, I hurried to the principal’s office. I stepped
inside and forced a gentle smile, silently begging for a shred of normalcy. He
sat behind his desk, entirely silent. He didn't speak. He didn't nod. He just
stared through me with cold, hollow eyes.
A wave of
profound sorrow washed over me, heavy enough to bring me to tears. Why?
I asked myself, the question aching in my chest. What is wrong with everyone
today? Why are they treating me like an outcast? Why is there so much
unprovoked dislike?
Desperate
for sanctuary, I retreated toward my classroom. On the way, a student collided
heavily with my shoulder. He didn't stumble, he didn't look back, and he
certainly didn't say sorry. It was as if I had become completely invisible, yet
somehow still a target for their scorn.
Finally, I
slipped through the threshold of my classroom and collapsed at my desk, burying my face in my arms to hide from the cold world outside.
Then, a soft
rustle broke the silence.
I lifted my
heavy eyelids. The hallway's oppressive gloom was gone, replaced by the
familiar, sunlit room. Gathered close around my desk were my students, their
faces bright and etched with genuine concern.
"Teacher,
are you tired? Did you fall asleep?" one of them whispered gently.
Almost in
unison, the rest of the room erupted into a chorus of familiar, beautiful
voices: "Good afternoon, Teacher! How are you today?"
The heavy
knot in my chest instantly dissolved. I looked at their bright, smiling faces,
let out a long breath, and whispered a quiet prayer to myself: Thank God.
Thank God it was only a dream.
My Written Poem
Beneath the quiet shade of coconut trees,
My eyes drifted aimlessly into the air,
A passing student ignored my warm pleas,
Running from a request for a simple chair,
Leaving me stranded in the midday breeze.
I stood by the post where the shadows grow,
Greeting a colleague who hurried right past,
She gave me no look, no nod, and no hello,
Into a cold silence my spirit was cast,
Walking to the office with heavy steps,
The staff only stared with a piercing glare,
Whispering secrets as I drifted on by,
The principal sat in his motionless chair,
Watching me coldly without a reply,
Leaving me drowning in sudden despair.
I wanted to weep as the cruelty grew,
Wondering why they all pushed me apart,
A student bumped past me and gave no excuse,
Heavy with sorrow and sick in my heart,
I fled to my classroom to hide my frustration and tears.
Then a soft chorus broke through the dark deep,
My students stood smiling around my own desk,
Asking so gently, "Did you fall asleep?"
Their sweet "Good Afternoon" ended the test,
And I thanked God for the peace I could keep.