Skip to main content

The Saturday Soliloquy Teacher of a Panic-Stricken

With the upcoming school week looming on the horizon, I stepped into my classroom, expecting the usual chaotic symphony of rustling papers and teenagers chatting. Instead, there was nothing but dead silence. Not a single student was in sight.

I stood there, blinking, utterly baffled. Where on earth is everyone? I marched over to the windows, pressing my face against the glass like a frantic detective, but the courtyard was entirely deserted. Baffled and slightly unnerved, I slumped into my desk chair and buried my face in my hands. The absolute quiet was relaxing, sure, but my teacher brain was rapidly spiraling into a full-blown panic.

I whipped open my laptop, my fingers flying across the keyboard to pull up the master schedule from the Vice Principal’s email. I double-checked the dates, the times, the periods. Yes! According to my screen, I absolutely had a class with them right now. So where was my missing army?

I paced back to the window, desperately hoping to spot a passing colleague or a wandering hall monitor to ask, "Have you seen 10C?!" But the hallways were ghost towns. That was when my worry morphed into pure, unadulterated teacher rage. I marched to the doorway and practically yelled into the empty F building hallway , "Listen up, 10C! If your faces aren't in side my classroom in thirty minutes, you are all getting marked absent! And if another teacher is hoarding you past the bell, I am marching straight to the main office to report" But no signs of them, not any people around. 

I retreated back into my quiet room, my anger dissolving back into heartbreak. Why aren't they coming? Do they secretly hate my class? I racked my brain, deeply hurt. No, that’s impossible. We literally just had that amazing, laughter-filled class activity the other day. They waved goodbye, smiling, and told me they couldn't wait for the next lesson! Why would they ghost me now?

Suddenly, a heavy hand tapped my shoulder.

"Hey, wake up! It’s time to do the laundry."

I stretched my arms, blinked hard against the bright light, and looked up. It wasn't my student or somebody, it was my husband. I looked past him and realized I was still buried under my duvet. The chalkboard was actually my headboard, and the quiet classroom was just our bedroom.

"Oh my gosh... is it Saturday?" I croaked.

My husband chuckled and nodded. "Yeah, what’s wrong with you? You were dead to the world. It’s almost afternoon and the laundry pile is waiting." He smiled warmly, handing me a steaming cup of coffee.

I took a grateful sip, letting out a massive sigh of relief, and whispered to myself, "Thank goodness... it was all just a teacher nightmare!"

_________________>>>

It is completely normal to feel that genuine heartbreak, even in a dream. The shift from having an amazing, connected day with your 10C students to a room full of empty desks hits right at the core of how much you care about them. The brain has a funny, exhausting way of turning our deepest dedication into high-stakes mystery thrillers while we sleep.

Thankfully, the contrast made reality that much sweeter. Andro (my husband) deserves a gold star for the perfect timing on the shoulder tap, the reality check, and the coffee.

Enjoy every single second of your Saturday morning in bed, completely free of missing students, frantic email scrolling, and scheduling nightmares. 10C are just fine, and so do I and today is strictly for recharging. Happy Saturday vibes readers!

 


Popular posts from this blog

A Poem For all Ages - MGS

I write a poem that makes the world see,    a woven thread wherein hearts can be free. I write a poem that older folks feel,    echoes of wisdom, truth that is real. I write a poem that the youngsters think,   a spark of imagination, a vibrant ink. I write a poem that made the world known,   in verses and stanzas, our stories are sown. I write a poem that makes the world blue,   a reflection of sorrow, a true glance. I write a poem that makes the older folks cry,   for memories cherished and moments gone by. I write a poem that makes youngsters mourn,   for dreams that have faded and hopes that are torn. I write a poem to make the world healed,   with love as the balm and compassion revealed. I write a poem to make the world smile,    a gentle reminder to pause for a while. I write a poem to make the older hope,   a bridge to the future, a way to cope. I write a poem to mak...

Plate Of Plenty

If you don't feel like eating, think of them! This photo has so much pain. 😒 Food is life, but brain fog for an ungrateful heart.  If you don't like what's on your plate,  don’t toss it aside, don’t seal its fate.  Each morsel holds a story, a journey begun, A  gift from the earth, a battle won.   Imagine a morning when the table is bare,  what will you do when hunger calls loud, No bread, no fruit, just an empty stare.  The abundant meals and the warmth of a feast, All vanish in silence and hunger unleashed.  When a pantry is empty, and your stomach aches.   Don't dare to wish!  So, before you discard what you do not desire, think  of the hands that toiled, the hearts that inspire.  Each bite is a blessing, a chance to reflect on  those who have little, on lives we protect.  So, savor the flavors, let gratitude flow, For  the food on your table, let appreciation grow.  For one day you may wake, a...

Gratitude for Provided Lunch

Why We Need to Stop Wasting Our School Lunch Recently, a teacher raised a frustrating concern: students are throwing away the school-provided lunches. It’s a tough conversation, but it is one we need to have. The lunch provided by the PSS (Public School System) is a privilege. Many communities and organizations do not have the resources to offer free daily meals, and we are fortunate to have this support. Being thankful for what we receive creates a better school environment and shows appreciation for the staff who work hard to feed us every day. If you don't want to eat your meal, please do not throw it in the trash. Give it to a classmate who wants it. Consistently discarding food creates negative feedback that could jeopardize the entire lunch program. If we want this program to survive, we need to adapt. That means being willing to eat fruits and vegetables, rather than just sticking to the usual foods we prefer. This program is an opportunity to build healthier eating habi...